Aubergine is a great addition to these Japanese-style skewers – it complements the beef perfectly and soaks up all the delicious flavours of the marinade.
Prep 30 mins + marinating
Cook 20 mins
2 x 225g sirloin steaks, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 3cm pieces
1 aubergine, cut into 4cm cubes
1 large green pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
100ml teriyaki sauce
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
FOR THE SLAW
1⁄4 red cabbage, thinly shredded
1 carrot, peeled and grated
2 spring onions, trimmed, shredded, white and green parts separated
15g piece fresh ginger, grated
Grated zest and juice of 1⁄2 lime
1 teaspoon sunflower oil
1 teaspoon clear honey
5g fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Put the steak, aubergine and pepper into a large bowl then pour over the teriyaki sauce, reserving 1 tablespoon for later. Toss to coat and set aside to marinate for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the slaw. Put the cabbage, carrot, the white parts of the spring onions and the ginger into a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime zest and juice, oil and honey, and pour over the vegetables. Add the coriander, then toss everything together, cover and set aside in the fridge.
- Thread the steak, aubergine and pepper pieces on to 4 skewers, alternating the meat and veg pieces. If you’re using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 10 minutes beforehand so they don’t burn.
- Heat a griddle pan or grill until hot. Cook the skewers for 6-8 minutes in two batches if necessary, turning often and brushing with the reserved teriyaki sauce, until the aubergine is tender and the kebabs are lightly charred.
- Scatter the sesame seeds and the green parts of the spring onions over the kebabs, then serve with the slaw on the side.
COOK’S TIP If you have more time on your hands, leave the kebab ingredients to marinate overnight. The slaw is best made on the day.