This tomato and chickpea stew recipe came about thanks to one of a few wonderful sets of neighbours that we have, who I’ll namecheck just to make sure they keep looking after the cats when we go off on our jaunts. I jest, they’re truly lovely folks: Wilf and Wilma. One other perk of having our excellent neighbours is that barely a week goes by in the summer without a surfeit of vegetables being handed over from their allotment. Some weeks it’s enough aubergines to make a convent blush, others it’s 87 leeks and a wheelbarrow of turnips. This recipe stems from a glut of tomatoes that Wilf left on my doorstep – although you’ll see that we have used tinned tomatoes in this recipe rather than fresh. That’s because we wanted a ‘quick’ take on our recipe. If you have the time, about 500g of fresh, skinned cherry tomatoes will make this dish sing. When I say fresh, mind, I mean it. Greenhouse or bust.
oil for frying
1 red onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp tomato purée
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp hot chilli powder
2 x 400g tins of tomatoes
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp honey
400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
200g baby spinach
1. Place a large frying pan over a medium-high heat and spray with a little oil. Add the onion and gently cook until it starts to go translucent, then add the garlic and stir well for a minute or two.
2. Add the tomato purée, cumin, paprika and chilli powder, and stir well.
3. Pour in the tinned tomatoes then gently crush with a wooden spoon as you stir them. Add the salt, pepper and honey and simmer over a low heat until thickened.
4. Add the drained chickpeas to the pan and stir through to warm them up.
5. Add the spinach and stir in well until wilted, then serve.
NOTE FROM PAUL This tomato and chickpea stew tastes great served with rice.
Buy the book with a 20 per cent discount
TwoChubbyCubs The Cookbook: 100 Tried and Tested Slimming Recipes by James and Paul Anderson is published by Yellow Kite, price £20. To order a copy for £16 with free p&p until 30 April, go to mailshop.co.uk or call 01603 648155.