This chocolate and amaretti custard is that elusive treat, a recipe you can whip up at the last minute without making a trip to the shops for supplies. If you prefer, you could serve the custard plain, or with a crumbling of anything from shortbread to ginger biscuits on top.
25g plain flour
60g unsweetened cocoa powder
90g caster sugar
a generous pinch of salt
500ml whole milk
80g amaretti biscuits
1. Combine the flour, cocoa powder, sugar and salt in a heavy based saucepan set over a medium heat.
2. Stir in the milk and cook, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes, until the mixture begins to thicken.
3. When it starts to bubble, remove from the heat and let it cool for about 5 minutes; it will thicken a little more as it cools.
4. Crumble half the amaretti into 4 small cups, bowls or ramekins (I like to use teacups).
5. Spoon the chocolate cream over them and leave to cool, then chill for 20-30 minutes. Crumble the remaining amaretti over the top before serving.
Reach for the Skye – and save
Our recipes are from A Table for Friends with additional recipes from A Table in Venice by Skye McAlpine, both Bloomsbury, £26. To order copies for £22.88 each, go to mailshop.co.uk/books or call 020 3308 9193. Promotional price valid until 20 December. Free UK delivery on orders over £15.