This vanilla and prune ice cream is a seasonal upgrade to your usual scoop. The brandy adds a dash of extra festive fun.
440ml double cream
2 vanilla pods, split lengthways, seeds scraped
9 egg yolks
150g caster sugar
12 prunes, stoned, cut in half and marinated in 3 tbsp brandy for 24 hours
1. Scald the milk and cream with the vanilla pods and seeds.
2. Beat the egg yolks and sugar until creamy, slowly add the milk mixture and whisk together.
3. Return it to the saucepan and cook over a low heat, stirring constantly, until the custard coats the back of a spoon. Strain through a sieve into a bowl, removing the pod, and allow to cool.
4. Freeze the mixture in a 2-litre container.
5. Once frozen, take the ice cream out of the freezer and soften at room temperature. Place in a food processor and blitz to remove the ice crystals. Fold in the prunes and brandy.
6. Place the ice cream back in the container and refreeze.
Buy Prue’s book with 20% off
Prue: My All-time Favourite Recipes is published by Bluebird, price £25. To order a copy for £20 until 1 December with free p&p, visit mailshop.co.uk or call 01603 648155.
Recipe: Prue Leith. Food styling: Clare Lewis. Styling: Sue Radcliffe