Pizza Express has truly been making all our pizza dreams come true during lockdown, as it’s been generously dolling out the recipes for some of its best loved dishes, including its famous dough balls and iconic Fiorentina pizza, for all to enjoy at home.
With the restaurant chain divulging a new recipe every week, if lockdown goes on much longer it won’t be long until we have the full Pizza Express menu under our belts (although we’ll of course be heading straight back to our nearest restaurant as soon as they reopen).
This week’s recipe is for the restaurant’s famous Leggera Padana pizza. It comes served as a ring of pizza with the hole in the middle filled with a fresh, crispy dressed salad, making the dish under 600 calories and therefore an ideal low calorie alternative to greasy, heavy takeaway pizza options. Deliciously topped with goat’s cheese, caramelised onion, spinach, red onion, tomato and garlic oil, this is one of the pizza chain’s most popular dishes, and it’s not hard to see why.
View this post on Instagram
Our latest #HomemadeFavourites recipe has just been released over on our stories and pizzaexpress.com/homemade-favourites We've made @camila_cabello 's favourite – so good she even wrote a song about it… 🎵 Padana, ohh na na. 🎵🎵 Half of my heart is with Padana, ohh na na. 🎵 Have a go, and don't forget to share with us @pizzaexpress #StayHome #Recipe
Pizza Express Leggera Padana recipe
MAKES: 1 LEGGERA PIZZA
PREP TIME: 60 MINS
COOK TIME: 10-12 MINS
Pizza dough (see here or here for how to make)
60g PizzaExpress passata (or any passata)
40g red onion chutney
A handful of blanched spinach
28g red onion (sliced)
25g goat’s cheese (crumbled into 8 pieces)
Pinch of oregano
Pinch of black pepper
5ml garlic oil (or olive oil)
A handful of salad mix
2 cherry tomatoes (halved)
5ml PizzaExpress house light dressing (or any dressing you have!)
- Preheat your oven to 230°C.
- Roll out the dough to the thinness you’d like and place it on a lightly oiled baking tray (if using the dough ball recipe to make your dough, this will make enough for two pizzas, so split your dough in half before rolling out and remember to double-up on the topping ingredients).
- Place a round plastic cup/container (about 8cm side) in the middle of dough and cut around it using a knife.
- Remove the excess dough from the middle (you can use this to make a mini garlic bread!).
- Spread your Pizzaexpress passata around your Leggera base.
- Add onion chutney, spinach and sliced onions to your base.
- Top with goats cheese, oregano, black pepper and garlic oil.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Add the lettuce and tomato to the centre of your Leggera.
- Top the salad with PizzaExpress light house dressing.