The Pizza Express carbonara pizza recipe is what happens when two delicious worlds collide. Not content with serving the salty, savoury, cheesy flavours of a classic carbonara over fresh spaghetti or linguine, the restaurant turned the pasta dish into an indulgent egg-topped pizza, and the rest is history.
With restaurants still closed until further notice, the chain have been generously sharing the methods for making some of its most beloved dishes, including dough balls, Leggera pizza and even more adventurous options like the Fiorentina. Now, by popular demand, it’s the turn of the carbonara pizza, and the recipe doesn’t disappoint.
View this post on Instagram
OMG OMG OMG – it's live! Head to our stories right now to find out how to make the egg-cellent Carbonara pizza at home, from scratch. You're welcome. If ‘from scratch’ sounds like too much of a faff – you can pick this pizza up now in Waitrose…and from tomorrow, in Tesco too! #Homemadefavourites #Recipe #Pizza
Pizza Express posted the dish on both its Instagram story and website, much to the delight of fans who had been missing their carbonara pizza fix. ‘I cannot wait to try this. I love you guys for this,’ posted one in the comment section, while another agreed: ‘Yessss finally!!!’
Pizza Express carbonara pizza recipe
Pizza dough (from the dough ball recipe, or see the Margherita pizza recipe here)
60g of béchamel (from the Pollo Pesto recipe)
5 strips of cured pancetta (or streaky bacon – cut in half)
20g Parmesan cheese (or any Italian hard cheese)
Double pinch of black pepper
10ml garlic oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
1 free-range egg
Pinch of parsley
1. Make your pizza dough and béchamel.
2. Preheat your oven to 230°C.
3. Roll out the dough and spread the béchamel on top making sure to almost go to the edge.
4. Evenly place the pancetta or streaky bacon strips leaving a space in the middle of the pizza for the egg.
5. Add the mozzarella, again, leaving space for the egg.
6. Add the black pepper and half of the grated Parmesan.
7. Drizzle with a little garlic olive oil.
8. Cook in the oven for 5-7 mins.
9. Remove from the oven and crack the egg into the centre of the pizza.
10. Cook in the oven for another 6-8 mins or until the cheese is bubbling and the crust is golden brown. Be careful not to overcook the egg!
11. Top with chopped parsley and the remaining grated Parmesan. Enjoy!
If whipping up your own base and béchamel sounds like a little too much work, Pizza Express also confirmed the exciting news that pre-made Romana carbonara pizzas are now available in Waitrose and Tesco stores across the country – pick them up in store, pop them in the oven and you’re good to go!