A great combination of rich, decadent chocolate, fresh fruity raspberries and the crunchy bite from the hazelnuts. A really special dessert to round off the evening.
FOR THE TORTE
200g salted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
175g caster sugar
3 medium free-range eggs
80g hazelnuts, whizzed to a crumb consistency, plus 100g hazelnuts, roughly chopped
125g plain flour
1 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
3-4 tbsp whole milk
300g fresh raspberries
150g dark chocolate, at least 70% cocoa, broken into small pieces
FOR THE CHOCOLATE CREAM
130g almond butter
100g unsalted butter, softened
130g icing sugar
80g cocoa powder
4 tsp-5 tbsp whole milk, to loosen
- Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5, and grease and line a 23cm springform cake tin with butter.
- To make the torte, beat the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer or in a large mixing bowl using a hand-held electric whisk for about 10 minutes until pale and soft.
- Gradually add the eggs one by one, mixing between additions, then add the hazelnut crumb, flour and baking powder and mix well. The mixture should have a soft, spoonable consistency. If it is a bit stiff, loosen with the milk (you may not need it all).
- Scatter half the fresh raspberries over the bottom of the cake tin (reserve the other half to serve). Pour the cake mixture over the raspberries in the base of the tin and scatter over the chocolate pieces and the chopped hazelnuts. Bake for 1-1 1⁄2 hours (a skewer inserted into the centre will come out clean when it is done). Take the torte out of the oven and leave on a wire rack to cool.
- While the torte is cooking, make the chocolate cream: in a mixing bowl, use a hand-held electric whisk to whisk the almond butter with the butter and sugar until well mixed. Stir in the cocoa powder and just enough milk to loosen to a whipped cream consistency. Keep somewhere cool until ready to serve.
- Slice the torte and serve with the chocolate cream and the remaining fresh raspberries.
Now buy Matt’s book
Weekend by Matt Tebbutt will be published by Quadrille on 11 November, price £22. To pre-order a copy for £18.70 until 25 November, go to mailshop.co.uk/books or call 020 3308 9193. Free UK delivery on orders over £20.