Light and fresh, this spaghetti with salmon is an ideal dish for a summer’s evening and always goes down well.
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 12-15 minutes
300g (11oz) spaghetti
150ml (5fl oz) white wine
2 hot-smoked salmon fillets, skinned and sliced into large strips (see note)
4 tbsp olive oil
2 banana shallots, thinly sliced
1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and diced
3 tbsp chopped parsley
1 heaped tbsp chopped tarragon leaves
juice of ½ lemon
freshly grated Parmesan, to serve (optional)
1. Cook the spaghetti in boiling salted water according to the packet instructions, then drain, reserving some of the cooking water.
2. Meanwhile, pour the wine into a wide saucepan, cover with a lid and bring to the boil. Add the salmon, cover again with the lid and gently simmer for 3-4 minutes until the fish is just cooked. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the shallots and fry over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the chilli and fry for a further 15 seconds.
4. Remove the salmon from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
5. Pour the wine from the pan into the shallot mixture, then add the drained spaghetti with the salmon, chopped herbs, lemon juice and remaining oil. Season with salt and pepper, add a good splash of the reserved cooking water to loosen the sauce, if needed, and gently toss over the heat for a few minutes (see note).
6. Serve with some grated Parmesan, if you like.
Use standard fresh salmon fillets, if you prefer.
Be careful not to toss too energetically, as you want to keep the salmon in large pieces.
Best served straight away.
Not suitable for freezing.
SAVE 20 PER CENT ON MARY’S NEW BOOK
Mary Berry Quick Cooking will be published by BBC Books on 21 February, price £22. As well as Mary’s introduction, the book contains more than 100 all-new recipes, plus her crucial tips for each one. Chapters include: Light Bites and Tapas; Speedy Soups; Salads and Grains; Fish; Poultry and Game; Pork, Lamb and Beef; Rice, Noodles and Pasta; Quick Veg; Puddings, and Baking. To order a copy for £17.60 until 3 March, visit mailshop.co.uk/books or call 0844 571 0640; p&p is free on orders over £15.