Any root vegetable would work in this meatless vegetable and lentil pie. I have used carrots and parsnips, but butternut squash would be lovely too, as would celeriac.
Prep time 10-15 minutes
Cook time 1 hour 15 minutes
Calories per portion 470
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 sticks celery, finely chopped
3 sprigs of thyme, leaves picked and finely chopped
1 sprig of rosemary, leaves picked and finely chopped
300g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
80g sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
400g cherry tomatoes, halved
400g can chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato purée
1 beef stock cube
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into big chunks
2 medium parsnips, peeled and sliced into big chunks
400g can brown lentils, drained
300g broccoli, broken into small florets
300g cauliflower, broken into small florets
100g Cheddar, grated
1. Put the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and sauté the onion, celery, thyme and rosemary for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook for about 10 minutes, until they have softened and released their juices.
2. Stir in the garlic, sun-dried and cherry tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato purée, stock cube and Worcestershire sauce and stir well. Bring everything to the boil, add the carrots and parsnips, reduce the heat and cover with a lid. Simmer gently for about 35 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
3. Stir in the lentils and simmer for another 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and blanch the broccoli and cauliflower for 4 minutes. Drain well.
5. Preheat the grill to its highest setting. Transfer the lentil mixture to a baking dish, top with the broccoli and cauliflower and scatter with the grated Cheddar. Place under the grill for about 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted, bubbling and crisp.
We strongly advise consulting your doctor before embarking on any diet plan. You should also discuss your medication if necessary. The Life Without Diabetes eating plan is not suitable if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or underweight.
Buy the book with 20 per cent off
Life Without Diabetes by Professor Roy Taylor is published by Short Books, price £9.99. To order a copy for £7.99, with free p&p, until 25 January, call 01603 648155 or go to mailshop.co.uk.
© Roy Taylor 2020. Recipes created by: participants on the diabetes reversal trial, Kathryn Bruton, Alison Barnes. Food styling: Clare Lewis. Styling: Sue Radcliffe.