Joe Wicks’ sticky aubergine steaks are a BBQ recipe with a difference! Served on top of the bejewelled couscous, they make a satisfying plate that’s packed full of flavour.
2 tbsp melted coconut oil
2 1/2 tbsp harissa
1 large aubergine
salt and pepper
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
juice of 1 lemon
50g blanched almonds, roughly chopped
handful of mint leaves, roughly chopped, plus extra sprigs to serve
handful of coriander, roughly chopped
100g pomegranate seeds
salt and pepper
4 tbsp natural yogurt
1. Fire up the barbecue. Mix the coconut oil and 2 tablespoons of the harissa together in a wide shallow bowl. Cut the aubergine into six meaty rounds, then soak them in the harissa oil, turning so that each side gets coated. Season the aubergine steaks with salt and pepper.
2. Put the aubergine on the barbecue. Cook for 15-18 minutes, turning halfway, until completely soft.
3. Meanwhile, put the couscous, ground cumin, cinnamon and lemon juice into a large bowl. Pour over 200ml boiling water. Cover with a plate and leave to steam for a few minutes.
4. When the couscous has cooked, use a fork to separate the grains then tip in the chopped almonds, mint, coriander and pomegranate seeds. Season to taste. Swirl the remaining harissa through the yogurt.
5. Divide the bejewelled couscous between two plates and top with the barbecued harissa aubergine, yogurt and extra mint.
For more new Body Coach recipes
This dish features in Joe’s Veggie BBQ ebook (ten brand-new Lean in 15 recipes; available for free download on Kindle and Apple Books) and Veggie Lean in 15 (£16.99, Bluebird). To order a copy for £13.59 (a 20% discount) until 30 June call 0844 571 0640; p&p is free on orders over £15.