Everyone will love this delicious, easy-to-make and healthy meal that the Body Coach serves up for his own family.
PREPARE: 10 MINUTES
COOK: 30 MINUTES
80g unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
80g golden caster sugar, plus an extra 2 tsp for sprinkling
2 eggs, beaten
1⁄4 tsp almond essence
120g ground almonds
50g plain flour
Pinch of salt
Grated zest of 1 lemon
320g sheet of ready-made puff pastry (remove it from the fridge 15 minutes before it’s needed)
300g rhubarb stalks, cut into 2cm pieces
150g strawberries, hulled and halved
30g flaked almonds
Crème fraîche or Greek yoghurt, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 210C/190C fan/gas 61⁄2 and line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Whisk the butter and the 80g sugar in a mixing bowl with an electric handheld whisk until pale and fluffy.
- Whisk in the eggs and almond essence a little at a time, whisking after each addition, until fully incorporated. Fold in the ground almonds, flour, salt and lemon zest until they are also fully incorporated.
- Unroll the pastry on to the lined baking tray and score a 2cm border around the edge of the pastry with a sharp knife.
- Bake the pastry in the oven for 12 minutes, or until lightly golden and puffed. Remove the pastry sheet from the oven and, using the back of a spoon, push down the inside rectangle of pastry.
- Top the inside rectangle of pastry with the frangipane, spreading it out evenly. Arrange the rhubarb and strawberries on top of the frangipane, sprinkle over the remaining 2 tsp caster sugar and scatter over the flaked almonds.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and the fruit has started to soften.
- Remove from the oven and serve the tart with a dollop of crème fraîche or Greek yoghurt.
Love the recipe? Now buy the book
Our recipes are from Joe’s Family Food by Joe Wicks, which will be published by Bluebird on 10 June, price £20. To pre-order a copy for £17 until 14 June go to mailshop.co.uk/books or call 020 3308 9193. Free p&p on orders over £20.