A very popular recipe in my house. It is so simple to throw together, packed with veggie goodness and a great finger food.
MAKES 1 ADULT AND 1 CHILD PORTION
100g frozen, cubed butternut squash
1 tbsp water
2 tsp coconut oil
2 spring onions, finely sliced
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp garlic granules
210g tin kidney beans, rinsed, drained and roughly chopped
juice of ½ lime
handful of coriander, leaves and stems, chopped
2 flour tortillas
50g cheddar, grated
1. Place the butternut and water in a microwaveable bowl and cover with a plate. Microwave on full power for 5 minutes, then check to see if the butternut is tender and cooked through. If not, cover and microwave for a further 1 minute, repeating until the squash is soft.
2. Melt the coconut oil in a large nonstick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the spring onions, spices, garlic granules, kidney beans and butternut squash and mash everything together. Cook for 2-3 minutes to meld the flavours. Add the lime juice and coriander then remove from the pan and put to one side.
3. Wipe the frying pan clean then put it back on the hob and place a tortilla in it. Sprinkle over the grated cheese then spread over the butternut squash mixture. Top with the second tortilla, squashing everything down firmly with the palm of your hand.
4. Cook for 2-3 minutes before flipping and cooking for a further 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown on each side.
5. Place the butternut and kidney bean quesadilla on a plate or board then cut into triangles to serve.
Love the recipes? Now buy the book!
Wean in 15 by Joe Wicks will be published by Bluebird on 14 May, price £16.99