Delicious chocolate chip cookie base topped with rich gooey brownie batter, all baked to perfection. The cookie layer is made using olive oil which stops them from becoming too doughy and the brownies just melt in your mouth. They are utter indulgence.
MAKES 20 SQUARES
PREP 35 MINUTES
COOKING 25 MINUTES
FOR THE BASE
300g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
200g milk or dark chocolate chips
1⁄2 tsp fine sea salt
150ml olive oil
175g soft light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
FOR THE TOPPING
125g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), chopped
200g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
85g plain flour
1⁄4 tsp fine sea salt
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Line a 20cm x 30cm rectangular, 4cm-deep baking tin with baking parchment.
- To make the cookie base, put the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, chocolate chips and salt in a large bowl then stir to mix.
- Mix the oil, 75ml water, the sugar and vanilla until combined then pour this into the flour. Stir until the dough just comes together without overmixing. Press loosely into the base of the prepared tin.
- For the brownie layer, put the butter and chocolate in a bowl over a pan of barely simmering water to slowly melt. Alternatively, gently melt in the microwave in 10-second bursts.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar and vanilla until they are thick and creamy. Pour in the melted chocolate and butter then mix together.
- Stir in the flour and salt, then pour on top of the cookie base and level the surface by giving the pan a gentle shake. Bake for about 25 minutes until the top is cracking and the centre is just set. Leave to cool in the tin for about 30 minutes before cutting into squares.
DAIRY-FREE Choose a suitable dairy-free chocolate and substitute the butter with a plant-based butter, or a light oil such as rapeseed or sunflower in the brownie batter. The results are a little softer and gooier – but what’s not to like about that?
FLAVOUR SWAP Play around with flavours in the brownie batter such as the addition of 1 tsp ground cinnamon or ginger, 1 tbsp instant coffee powder dissolved in 1 tbsp hot water or finely grated zest of 1 orange. Or you could also add up to 250g of your choice of treat: chocolate chips, dried fruit, chopped stem ginger, candied peel, roughly chopped nuts, fudge or caramel chunks.
Now buy the book
Our recipes are from The Flexible Baker by Jo Pratt, published by White Lion, price £20. To order a copy for £17 until 20 March, go to mailshop.co.uk/books or call 020 3176 2937. Free UK delivery on orders over £20.