We like cooking these on a ridged griddle, but you can also cook them on the barbecue or under the grill. They’re delicious hot or cold and make a great portable meal. Serve with a mixed salad.
1 tbsp coconut or rapeseed oil
juice of 1 lime (around 2 tbsp)
1/2 tsp crushed dried chilli flakes
2 tsp dark soy sauce
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (each around 175g), cut into 16 long, thin strips
lime wedges, to serve
1 green chilli, sliced (optional)
FOR THE SATAY SAUCE
60g no-added-sugar crunchy peanut butter (around 4 tbsp)
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
15g fresh root ginger, peeled and finely grated
1. Have ready 16 x 20cm bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 15 minutes (or metal skewers if cooking on the barbecue or under the grill).
2. Melt the oil, if using coconut, in a small saucepan very gently then pour into a medium bowl. Add the lime juice, chilli flakes, soy sauce and a good grinding of black pepper. Mix well. Add the chicken strips and toss everything together well.
3. Thread the chicken on to the skewers. Work quickly as the lime juice will start ‘cooking’ the chicken and the coconut oil could solidify.
4. Place a large, lightly greased griddle or nonstick frying pan over a medium-high heat and cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side, depending on thickness, or until lightly browned and cooked through.
5. Meanwhile, to make the satay sauce, place the peanut butter in a small saucepan with around 4 tablespoons water, the soy sauce and grated ginger. Heat gently, stirring constantly until the peanut butter softens and the mixture becomes glossy and thickened. Add a little more soy sauce or water to taste, if needed.
6. Serve the chicken with lime wedges, chilli, if using, and the warm sauce in individual dipping bowls or simply drizzled over.
ON 5:2 NON-FAST DAYS Increase your portion size and dish up with small servings of brown rice.
NUTRITION PER SERVING CALS 264, PROTEIN 36g, FAT 12g, FIBRE 1g, CARBS 3g
SAVE 20% ON THE BRILLIANT FAST 800 RECIPE BOOK
The Fast 800 Recipe Book by Dr Clare Bailey and Justine Pattison with foreword by Dr Michael Mosley will be published by Short Books on Thursday 13 June, price £14.99. To order a copy for £11.99 until 23 June, call 0844 571 0640; p&p is free on orders over £15. Visit thefast800.com for more information about the programme and advice on how to lose weight, stay healthy and live longer.