This Fast 800 beef rendang recipe is a pared-down version of the Malaysian classic but is incredibly delicious and satisfying. Serve with steamed spring greens, long-stemmed broccoli or pak choi.
600g beef braising steak, trimmed and cut into roughly 4cm chunks
6 garlic cloves, peeled
50g fresh root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
2 medium red onions, peeled and quartered
1 tsp crushed dried chilli flakes
2 tbsp coconut or rapeseed oil
1 × 400ml can coconut milk
3 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 beef stock cube
½ tsp ground cinnamon
2 stalks lemongrass, trimmed (optional)
lime wedges, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 3. Season the beef with sea salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper.
2. Put the garlic, ginger, onions and chilli flakes in a food processor and blitz until very finely chopped.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick frying pan over a high heat. Fry the beef in two batches until lightly browned on all sides and transfer to a flameproof casserole dish.
4. Add the remaining oil to the pan and gently fry the garlic and onion mixture for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Add to the casserole with the beef and stir in the coconut milk, soy sauce and 200ml water. Crumble in the stock cube and add the cinnamon. H If using the lemongrass, snap each stalk twice without completely separating the pieces, or bash with a rolling pin, and add to the curry (this will release their flavour). Stir well and bring to a simmer. Cover with a lid and cook in the oven for 2.-3. hours, or until the beef is meltingly tender.
COOK’S TIPS Lemongrass stalks can be found with the garlic and ginger in the supermarket, but you can use 2 tablespoons of puréed lemongrass from a jar if you prefer. If you don’t have a food processor, grate the garlic, ginger and onion. You could also simplify the recipe by using a ready-made rendang paste, but these tend to contain sugar.
ON 5:2 NON-FAST DAYS Serve with 2-3 tablespoons of cooked brown rice and some minty yoghurt raitha (there’s a recipe in the book).
NUTRITION PER SERVING CALS 482, PROTEIN 36g, FAT 31.5g, FIBRE 2.5g, CARBS 12.5g
SAVE 20% ON THE BRILLIANT FAST 800 RECIPE BOOK
The Fast 800 Recipe Book by Dr Clare Bailey and Justine Pattison with foreword by Dr Michael Mosley will be published by Short Books on Thursday 13 June, price £14.99. To order a copy for £11.99 until 23 June, call 0844 571 0640; p&p is free on orders over £15. Visit thefast800.com for more information about the programme and advice on how to lose weight, stay healthy and live longer.