All edible mushrooms, dried or fresh, are rich in nutrients including vitamin D and potassium.
PREP 40 minutes (including 30 minutes soaking)
COOK 30 minutes
15g dried porcini mushrooms
500g pork tenderloin fillet, all fat removed and cut into thin strips
3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced 450g mushrooms (eg chestnut, morels and ceps), sliced
300ml chicken stock
200ml half-fat crème fraîche
Grated zest of 1 lemon
500g fettuccine (dry weight)
A handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put the porcini in a heatproof jug or bowl and pour over some boiling water. Set aside to soak for at least 30 minutes.
- Drain well, straining and reserving the soaking liquid. Season the pork with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a wide, deep sauté pan set over a medium to high heat and cook the pork, turning it occasionally, for about 5 minutes until browned all over. Set aside.
- Add the onion and sliced mushrooms to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are golden and the onions have softened but not coloured.
- Return the pork to the pan together with the drained porcini. Stir into the onion and mushrooms, then add the chicken stock and the reserved porcini soaking liquid.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the pork is cooked and tender and the liquid has reduced. Stir in the crème fraîche and lemon zest then heat through gently for 2-3 minutes. Check the seasoning.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pan of lightly salted boiling water according to the instructions on the packet. Drain well.
- Divide the cooked pasta between four serving plates and top with the pork ragù. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
TIP The dried porcini give this pasta dish its distinctive flavour, while the fresh mushrooms give it a lovely texture. If you can get hold of wild mushrooms, use them in preference to cultivated ones.
Now buy the book with 15% off
Eat to Sleep: 80 Nourishing Recipes to Help You Sleep Well Every Night by Heather Thomas and Alina Tierney is published by Vermilion, price £12.99. To order a copy for £11.04 until 14 February, go to mailshop.co.uk/books or call 020 3308 9193. Free p&p on orders over £15.