These baked eggs can be served with toast instead of cornbread but, if you have time to make some and fancy the indulgence, cornbread makes a classic combination with crab.
TIME 30 MINUTES
butter, for greasing
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small head fennel, finely sliced
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
20g baby spinach
1 tsp fresh dill, finely chopped
300ml double cream
20g parmesan cheese, grated
grated zest of ½ lemon
4 slices cornbread (see book)
chipotle and maple butter (see Tip)
100g fresh white crabmeat
sea salt and black pepper
chopped chives, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease two 225ml ramekins with butter.
2. Place a large nonstick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the olive oil and fennel and sauté for 3-4 minutes until lightly coloured.
3. Add the garlic, cook for a further 1-2 minutes. Add the spinach and dill.
4. When the spinach has wilted, add the double cream, parmesan and lemon zest, then bring to the boil. Cook for 1 minute until slightly thickened, then remove from the heat. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
5. Distribute the spinach and fennel mixture between the two prepared ramekins. Crack an egg into each one and place them on a baking tray. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the whites have set and the yolks are soft (cook for longer if you like firm yolks).
6. Just before the eggs have finished cooking, toast the slices of cornbread and spread with the chipotle and maple butter.
7. When the eggs are done to your liking, remove from the oven. Divide the crab meat between the ramekins. Sprinkle the crab baked eggs with chopped chives.
TIP For the chipotle and maple butter, whip 200g unsalted butter with an electric whisk for 1 minute until pale and fluffy. Fold in 1 tbsp maple syrup, 2 tsp chopped coriander leaves and ½ a finely chopped chipotle chilli. Wrap in baking parchment, roll into a cylinder and refrigerate until needed.
Now buy the book with £5 off
Brunch the Sunday Way by Alan Turner and Terence Williamson is published by Frances Lincoln, price £14.99. To order a copy for £9.99 until 26 July go to whsmith.co.uk and enter the code YOUBRUNCH at the checkout. Book number: 9780711248595. For terms and conditions, see whsmith.co.uk/terms.