Everyone knows and loves Ben & Jerry’s iconic Cookie Dough ice cream – it’s the go-to flavour of the masses, the best accompaniment to any movie night or girls night in and utterly ingrained in popular culture. But while the ice cream as a whole is great, we’re all secretly digging for the cookie dough bites submerged throughout the vanilla ice cream because, well, they’re the best part.
So what if we told you that you could whip up your very own batch of Ben & Jerry’s exact cookie dough recipe at home? It seems too good to be true, but the American ice cream brand has in fact released the recipe for their chocolate chip cookie dough chunks so that you can do just that.
While Ben & Jerry’s released snackable bags of their chocolate chip cookie dough chunks earlier this year, we feel this is one step better as making them yourself guarantees ultimate freshness and satisfaction – plus, you can make as much as you want, i.e. loads.
It’s an eggless recipe with heat treated flour – the two essentials for creating edible cookie dough that’s safe to eat without any nasties – and so quick and easy make. Then it’s up to you how you serve it – go classic and scoop them into snackable-sized balls; sprinkle them over ice cream (or any dessert, for that matter); coat them in chocolate for cookie dough truffles or use them to decorate cakes, cupcakes or anything really! The possibilities are endless.
Ben & Jerry’s edible cookie dough recipe
250g brown sugar
125g chocolate chips
8 tbsp unsalted butter (room temperature)
2 tbsp double cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
- First, heat treat the flour to ensure it is safe to eat (do not skip this step, untreated flour can contain contaminants like Salmonella and E. coli and is not safe to eat). Place the flour in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high in 30-second intervals, stirring in between. Use an instant-read thermometer to ensure that the flour reaches 74°C throughout. The other method is to heat your flour in a conventional oven. Spread the flour out on a rimmed baking sheet and bake it in a preheated oven at 149°C in 2-minute intervals, checking the temperature after each interval until it reaches 74°C throughout.
- In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract, cream and salt and mix to combine. Add the heat treated flour and mix to incorporate.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Serve as you wish and enjoy! Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week