Dr Michael Mosley shares his simplest ever 5:2 diet breakfast recipes, from omelettes and poached eggs to granola and porridge.
Tomato baked eggs with avocado toast
249 calories per serving
½ avocado peeled and destoned
1 tsp olive oil
1 garlic clove finely chopped
400g tinned chopped tomatoes
1 piece wholemeal seeded bread toasted and cut in half
1. Mash the avocado in a bowl with a drizzle of the olive oil and some seasoning. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan with a lid and cook the garlic for 1 minute before adding the tomatoes and some seasoning. Simmer gently for 8-10 minutes until it has reduced. Make two wells in the sauce and crack the eggs into them, cover and cook for 5-6 minutes until the whites of the eggs have set. Top each piece of toast with the avocado and serve with the eggs.
Berry baked granola with yoghurt
233 calories per serving
50g rolled oats
10g mixed seeds
10g mixed nuts roughly chopped
½ tbsp olive oil
50g mixed berries
2 tbsp full-fat natural yoghurt
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/ gas 4.
2. Mix the oats, seeds and nuts with the olive oil then spread out on a lined baking tray and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the oats have turned golden. Add the berries to the tray and bake for a further 10 minutes. Serve the granola with the yoghurt.
Poached egg on greens with tomatoes and feta
254 calories per serving
2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
small bunch fresh dill finely chopped
4 medium tomatoes roughly chopped
50g feta crumbled
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1. Put the spinach in a colander and pour over a kettle of boiling water. Allow to wilt then cool slightly and squeeze out as much moisture as possible before putting into a bowl and mixing with 1 tsp of the oil, the dill and some seasoning.
2. Mix the tomatoes, feta, remaining oil, vinegar and some black pepper.
3. Poach the eggs in boiling water for 3-4 minutes then serve on top of the spinach with the tomato and feta salad scattered over.
Porridge with banana, yoghurt, berry swirl and toasted seeds
245 calories per serving
50g rolled oats
1 banana mashed
50g mixed berries
2 tbsp full-fat Greek yoghurt
1 tbsp mixed seeds toasted
1. Put the oats in a saucepan with 400ml of water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes then stir through the banana.
2. Put the berries in a bowl and mash with a fork to break them up and create a chunky sauce.
3. Swirl the yoghurt through the sauce and serve on top of the porridge topped with the toasted seeds.
Ham, mushroom and spinach omelette with tomato salad
204 calories per serving
2 tsp olive oil
100g mushrooms sliced
2 eggs beaten and seasoned
30g good-quality sliced ham roughly chopped
75g cherry tomatoes roughly chopped
1. Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a small nonstick frying pan and gently fry the mushrooms for 3-4 minutes then add the spinach and allow to wilt and cook until any liquid has evaporated. Remove from the pan then add half the remaining oil and half the eggs. Cook for 1 minute before pulling the cooked edges inwards and allow the egg to flow out to the edges then top with half the ham, spinach and mushrooms. Repeat with the remaining oil, eggs and fillings. Serve with the chopped tomatoes.
Blueberry and oat pancakes with toasted almonds
SERVES 2 – MAKES 10 PANCAKES
223 calories per serving
1. Blitz the oats in a food processor until they resemble a coarse powder. Then mix in the mashed banana, milk and a small pinch of salt.
2. Heat a splash of the oil in a nonstick frying pan then add 1 heaped tbsp of batter per pancake and cook for 2 minutes. Scatter over a few blueberries before flipping over and cooking for 2 more minutes until lightly golden. Repeat with the remaining oil, batter and blueberries then serve the pancakes topped with the almonds.
Recipes and food styling: Amy Stephenson. Nutritionist: Eleni Thoma. Prop stylist: Rebecca Newport. Food stylist: Mitzie Wilson.