We don’t tend to connect tech and cooking, but when YOU mag was lucky enough to be invited to a cookery workshop at Google HQ, we soon realised that the organisation is as keen on whipping up fab food as it is answering life’s big questions, such as ‘What’s an easypeasy recipe for a yummy chicken dish?’
Google’s stunning new building has a canteen with a stunning view over St Pancras and King’s Cross as well as an impressive kitchen, where Googlers can learn to whip up delicious dishes at home via workshops led by super-enthusiastic (not to mention super-patient) chef Dan Batten.
Formerly head teacher at Recipease, Jamie Oliver’s cooking school (which teaches the public to cook like Jamie) , he has a wonderfully relaxed approach to cooking, and – rather than giving us instructions – he encouraged us to ask Google Assistant (via Pixel 2 smartphones) for easy winter recipes such as spiced nuts. As far as Dan is concerned, food is all about enabling people to eat simple but stunning food: “Cooking doesn’t need to be difficult to taste great!”
And to prove his point, he’s shared his “banging recipe for is a winter warming classic – Smokey Chilli Chicken – that can easily be made in around 15-20 mins. My recipe has a Mexican flavour to it – it’s a real crowd pleaser, is full of flavour, and has a lovely texture.”
Dan’s Smokey Chilli Chicken
2 chicken thighs (skin on)
3 tbsp of olive oil
For the rub:
pinch of dried oregano
1 dried chilli
pinch of whole cumin seeds
For the sauce:
200ml tomato passata
1 tsp dried or paste Chipotle chilli
splash of white wine vinegar
½ tsp caster sugar
1 clove garlic
For the tortilla cups
For the tortilla cups, shop bought flour tortillas are the best.
For the salsa
1 red chilli
1/2 red onion
2tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove
salt and pepper to taste
For the guacamole
Salt and pepper
Instructions for the chicken:
- Bash up ingredients for the rub in a pestle and mortar and rub all over the chicken
- Cook chicken in frying pan, in a small amount of olive oil skin side down on a medium heat until skin is crispy and peels away from the bottom of the pan easily. Set aside to cool
- Put all the sauce ingredients into a saucepan and cook on a medium/high heat for 10 minutes, until boiling
- Place a lid on the pot and reduce the temperature to low and cook for approx 15-20mins or until sauce is thick and sticky
- Shred chicken into the frying pan using 2 forks – and mix in the sauce
- To make tortilla cups, cut floured tortillas into circles using a pastry cutter.
- Turn a muffin tray upside down and squeeze the tortilla circles in between the grooves (1 in each space)
- Place tray in preheated oven (around 180 degrees) and bake for around 8 minutes until crispy.
- Add the smokey chilli chicken to each cup and top with salsa and guacamole! Mmmm…
Instructions for the salsa:
- Roughly dice all ingredients and place into a pile.
- Pour over olive oil and, using your knife, fold and chop ingredients until all combined.
Instructions for the guacamole:
- Carefully remove avocado from the skin and chop roughly.
- Chop coriander and sprinkle on top of avocado, squeeze lime juice and add S+P to taste.
- Fold and chop everything together on a chopping board.
- For a smoother guacamole use the flat of your knife to squish the avocado to a paste.
- Or alternatively, put ingredients in a pestle and mortar and bash until combined and smooth
All photos shot on a Pixel 2