With all the spare time we currently have right now, making dream foodie creations has never been more appealing. With Christmas right around the corner, there’s still time to bake up a storm with a festive favourite, and there’s nothing more jolly and joyous than a gingerbread house. Luckily for us, the Queen’s pastry chef has just unveiled his gingerbread house recipe so we can create a biscuity abode fit for gingerbread royalty.
The Royal Family’s official Instagram account shared the recipe in a video on their page on Tuesday 22 December to their 8.5 million followers. The caption reads:
‘In the run up to Christmas, the chefs in the Royal kitchens have shared their recipe for making the perfect Gingerbread House. Follow our link in bio for the full recipe.’
‘If you decide to make the house yourself, we’d love to see what you’ve made. Please share your creations using #RoyalGingerbread.’
The full recipe is as follows, which has been made available by the Royal Family’s website. Enjoy!
Gingerbread house recipe
- 1000g plain strong flour
- 14g bicarbonate of soda
- 28g ground ginger
- 14g ground cinnamon
- 355g butter, unsalted
- 500g light brown sugar
- 140g egg
- 175g golden syrup
- Mix flour, bicarbonate and spices together.
- Add cold diced butter and continue mixing until crumb stage is reached.
- Add sugar and briefly combine.
- Then add eggs and syrup and mix until dough is formed.
- Divide into 2 blocks, knead together by hand and flatten.
- Wrap and chill for a few hours before rolling to approx. 5mm thickness for the house parts and approx. 3mm for smaller decorative parts.
- Cut gingerbread house shapes using template.
- Place on baking trays and chill again before baking.
- For windows, crush boiled sweets into the spaces you have cut.
- Fan oven 165c
- 18+ min for house pieces
- 12+ min for smaller pieces
1500g icing sugar
200g egg white
50g lemon juice
- Sieve icing sugar and combine with egg white and lemon juice by hand first before placing into mixer.
- Paddle together on low speed for about 2min, then scrape sides and paddle well.
- Continue mixing on low speed for approx. another 5min, until a creamy hard peak consistency is reached.
- For piping, decoration works loosen icing with some water.
- To assemble gingerbread house use hard peak icing.