Eat your fill and still lose weight with this tasty, easy-cook tofu and mixed vegetable stir-fry recipe from the diet book of the year, The Full Diet by NHS weight-loss expert Dr Saira Hameed.
TAKES 30 MINUTES
280g extra-firm tofu
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
4 cloves of garlic, grated
5cm piece of ginger, peeled and grated
2 red chillies, thinly sliced
2 peppers, deseeded and cut into lengths
100g green beans, top and tailed
2 pak choi, sliced
1 large carrot, peeled into ribbons
1 courgette, peeled into ribbons
50g cashew nuts, roughly chopped
2 tbsp chopped coriander
- Cut the tofu into 1cm fingers and then place on a piece of kitchen towel. Put another piece of kitchen towel on top and then place a chopping board on top of that with a couple of tins on top. You want to gently press any extra moisture out of the tofu as this will help it crisp up. Leave for 10 minutes and then place a wok over a high heat and pour in the extra virgin olive oil.
- Add the strips of tofu and cook for 2-3 minutes each side until golden and crisp. Remove and place on a clean, dry piece of kitchen towel.
- Pour in another splash of oil if needed and then add the garlic, ginger and chilli. Cook for 30 seconds until fragrant and add the peppers and green beans. Cook for 4-5 minutes, tossing everything frequently, then add the white stalk of the pak choi and cook for another minute.
- Lastly, add the carrot and courgette ribbons, beansprouts and pak choi leaves. Cook for another 2-3 minutes until the veg is just softening but still crisp and crunchy, then add the tofu back into the pan.
- Divide between two serving plates, scatter over the cashew nuts and coriander and finish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
TIP Many supermarkets sell bags of ready-prepared vegetables for stir-fries, containing nothing but the veg, which would work well for this dish and save on time.
Now buy the book
Our recipes are from The Full Diet by Dr Saira Hameed, which will be published by Penguin Michael Joseph on 31 March, price £14.99. To pre-order a copy for £12.74 until 4 April, go to mailshop.co.uk/books or call 020 020 3176 2937. Free UK delivery on orders over £20.