Eat your fill and still lose weight with this tasty, easy-cook calamari recipe from the diet book of the year, The Full Diet by NHS weight-loss expert Dr Saira Hameed.
TAKES 20 MINUTES
FOR THE TARTARE SAUCE
2 tbsp full-fat mayonnaise
2 tbsp full-fat Greek yogurt
1 tbsp capers, drained, rinsed and chopped
2 gherkins, finely chopped
1⁄4 tsp ground turmeric
1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
Zest and juice of 1 lemon, to taste
Salt and black pepper
FOR THE CALAMARI
400g squid tubes, fresh or frozen and defrosted, cut into 1.5cm rounds
1 large egg, beaten
100g ground almonds
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic granules
Olive oil, for frying
Salt and black pepper
- To make the tartare sauce, place the mayonnaise, yogurt, capers, gherkins, turmeric and parsley in a small bowl and stir to mix. Add the lemon zest, salt and pepper and as much lemon juice as you like. Keep to one side.
- Take the squid and, if defrosted from frozen, pat it as dry as you can with some kitchen towel.
- Place the beaten egg in one shallow dish, and the almonds, paprika, garlic and some seasoning in another.
- Take the squid rings and dip them into the egg, then gently toss in the almond mix to coat. Keep to one side while you heat around a centimetre of oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and then, very carefully, place the calamari in the pan in a single layer. Don’t overcrowd the pan – it’s probably best to do it in a few batches unless you have a very large pan.
- Cook the squid for a minute until the coating is light gold and then turn and cook the other side. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on kitchen paper to soak up the excess oil. Repeat for the other squid rings and then serve the calamari alongside the tartare sauce, with a big wedge of lemon.
- These go brilliantly with some peppers and courgettes oven-roasted in a little olive oil with a pinch of dried oregano and seasoning for 20-25 minutes at 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
TIP Leftover jarred capers can be used to accompany smoked salmon with lemon and cream cheese or scattered in a salad.
Now buy the book
Our recipes are from The Full Diet by Dr Saira Hameed, which will be published by Penguin Michael Joseph on 31 March, price £14.99. To pre-order a copy for £12.74 until 4 April, go to mailshop.co.uk/books or call 020 020 3176 2937. Free UK delivery on orders over £20.