Eat your fill and still lose weight with this tasty, easy-cook asparagus tart recipe from the diet book of the year, The Full Diet by NHS weight-loss expert Dr Saira Hameed.
TAKES 50 MINUTES
FOR THE TART BASE
250g ground almonds
75g unsalted butter, at room temperature
A pinch of salt
FOR THE FILLING
100g ricotta cheese
2 large eggs
2 egg yolks
200ml double cream
100g pecorino cheese (or parmesan), finely grated
2 tbsp chopped tarragon leaves (or 1 tbsp dried tarragon)
150g asparagus spears, woody ends snapped off
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line a 20cm loose-bottomed shallow, round tin with baking paper.
- Place the ground almonds, butter and pinch of salt in a mixing bowl and use your hands to rub the butter in, pressing and squeezing until you have a dough.
- Shape into a flat, round disc with your hands and then lay it in the base of the tin. Gently start to press it out to fill the base and work it up the sides, keeping it as even as possible. Prick the base with a fork and bake for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- While the base is baking, whisk together the ricotta and whole eggs in a mixing bowl or large jug. Once the ricotta is incorporated nicely, add the egg yolks and double cream. Finally, stir in the pecorino, tarragon and a good twist of black pepper. No need to add salt as the pecorino is salty enough.
- Pour the egg and cheese mix into the baked case and gently lay the asparagus on top. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until it just has a slight wobble left in the middle.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Delicious warm, served with green beans or cold with a side salad.
TIP Freeze leftover egg whites to use for an omelette or frittata.
Now buy the book
Our recipes are from The Full Diet by Dr Saira Hameed, which will be published by Penguin Michael Joseph on 31 March, price £14.99. To pre-order a copy for £12.74 until 4 April, go to mailshop.co.uk/books or call 020 020 3176 2937. Free UK delivery on orders over £20.