Fashion columnist and influencer Joanne Hegarty on mastering an effortless summer look.
From now until September is all about the art of wafting. It’s officially relaxed wardrobe vibes only. I adore this time of year when we can let loose and enjoy wearing simple floaty staples, spending more time outdoors, whether it’s your own garden or your favourite holiday bolthole.
Sun-kissed skin gives us a healthier glow and even the grumpy ones seem more cheerful.
It’s a fact that when you walk barefoot on grass, your level of endorphins – those wonderful feel-good hormones – increases, which helps you feel happy and calm. Time to channel your inner bohemian and throw off those restricting shoes.
So how do you pull off that effortless summer look, while sipping your Pimm’s and still being seductive and smouldering? It’s not as tricky as you think…
- Keep it easy-breezy. Cast aside those fitted pieces and heavy denims and opt for loose silhouettes in fabrics such as cotton, rayon and linen – make peace with the wrinkles, they’re part of the look. Keep your silks and satins for evenings when it’s cooler.
- Pick up dress bargains in the summer sales. Some of my favourites for the sunshine are US designer Mara Hoffman, whose speciality is airy linens and cottons, Greek brand Zeus & Dione for its designs and colours, and British brand Beach Cafe for its clever, easy-to-navigate curation of all things high-summer for every budget.
- Team your floaty dresses with expressive jewellery such as wrist cuffs, earrings and rings in different coloured stones.
- Experiment with joyful colours and prints that make you feel happy. Even the minimalists among us can’t resist a colour splash in August. An almost effortless approach is to simply wear the same block shade from head to toe – for example, in this season’s key shades such as blue, pink, yellow or orange. Or work the look in a chic two-piece, such as a trouser suit or skirt and top. Then accessorise with tans and golds.
- Go baggy! Wide-leg trousers worn with a cute blouse or white linen shirt are a wonderfully cool summer Accessorise with a woven leather bag. Dragon Diffusion has a great selection that never dates.
- Try a black dress. Nothing looks more alluring on a balmy evening than a strappy black number.
- And don’t forget to waft!
HOLD ON TO YOUR SUNNIES
Always losing your shades? Then why not take a leaf out of Dakota Johnson’s book. The Gucci muse showed up to the brand’s recent Cosmogonie show at Italy’s magical Castel del Monte in a pair of huge aviators on the most chic of chains.
YOUR WARDROBE WILL LOVE THIS
Want to organise your summer closet? This canvas and leather box from Zara Home (from £25.99, zarahome.com) is useful for extra storage.
Nobody does statement jewellery like Soru. Hang a little sea life from your ears with these delicate coral branch earrings (£180, sorujewellery.com). The perfect wafting accessories, they’ll add instant wow factor to your summer outfits.
Follow me on Instagram @thestylistandthewardrobe
IMAGE: VICTORIA METAXAS