This risotto and the Pea & Mint Soup are even easier to make together as they use some of the same equipment – which saves on the washing-up.
PREP 10 MINUTES
COOK 25 MINUTES
1.2 litres vegetable stock
465g frozen peas
100g butter, cubed
2 tsp chopped garlic, frozen or fresh
10 spring onions, cut into 1cm slices
300g arborio risotto rice
150g grated parmesan (or vegetarian hard-cheese alternative if you prefer)
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Put the vegetable stock and half the peas in a large ovenproof pan over a medium-high heat. Bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Pour the stock and pea mixture into a blender and whiz until smooth. Set aside.
3. Return the same pan to a low heat and add the butter, stirring occasionally until melted. Add the garlic and spring onions and stir to coat in the butter, then pour in the risotto rice and cook, stirring continuously, for 2 minutes until the grains are well coated in the butter.
4. Pour the pea and stock mixture back into the pan and stir to combine with the rice, then put a lid on the pan and transfer to the oven for 18 minutes, until the rice has swelled up and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
While the risotto is cooking make the Pea & Mint Soup. To save on washing-up, I use the same pan and blender jug for both dishes.
5. Remove the risotto from the oven and give it a quick stir, then add the remaining peas and stir through. Add the parmesan to the pan and stir to combine, then cover and set aside for 2-3 minutes to thicken.
TO SERVE Spoon the risotto into bowls. I like to serve this with a fresh lemon and rocket salad alongside.
TO FREEZE Set the risotto aside to cool, then spoon into a labelled freezer bag and freeze flat for up to three months.
TO COOK FROM FROZEN After defrosting fully, transfer to a bowl and reheat either in the microwave for 3 minutes until piping hot, or on the stove until bubbling. If the consistency is too firm, add a splash of water to loosen.
Buy the Batch Lady’s time-saving book with a 20 per cent discount
The Batch Lady: Shop Once. Cook Once. Eat Well All Week by Suzanne Mulholland will be published by HQ on 5 March, price £20. To order a copy for £16 with free p&p until 5 April go to mailshop.co.uk or call 01603 648155.