These are quick and easy pizzas that anyone can make at home – they require no skill or patience and you will be taking them out the oven within 20 minutes, if that. The picture shows some of our favourite toppings but you could try anything – we think it is pretty impossible to go wrong with pizza toppings. These have really thin and crispy bases and seem to get demolished super-fast, so plan to make more than you think you need! We often serve these as part of a feast, or it’s nice to sling them out of the oven when your guests are arriving, to serve instead of canapés.
For the flatbreads, use the basic flatbread recipe up to stage 2, making 1 large flatbread (or smaller ones if wished).
Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas 7 and place a non-stick baking sheet or pan in the oven to heat up while you make your toppings. Then take your baking sheet out of the oven and drizzle with a tiny bit of olive oil. Carefully place your rolled-out flatbread on top and after a minute or so bubbles will start forming; flip it and add your toppings to the flatbread before returning to the oven to bake.
Here’s some topping inspo to get you started. See the book for full instructions.
Harissa, goat’s cheese, red onion and coriander
Combine chopped tinned tomatoes with harissa (or just use the Smoky Harissa from our book) and spread this over the flatbread. Sprinkle with chopped red onion and crumble over some goat’s cheese. Bake in the hot oven for 5–8 minutes until the cheese is starting to turn golden. Remove from the oven and scatter with fresh coriander leaves.
White pizza with tender broccoli, garlic and ’nduja
Combine ricotta with a little olive oil, some lemon zest and chopped basil and garlic. Season and spread evenly over the flatbread so that it nearly reaches the sides, then dot little blobs of ’nduja spread all over. Place lightly steamed Tenderstem broccoli spears sporadically around, then tear up some mozzarella and scatter on top. Bake in the hot oven for 5–8 minutes until bubbling and golden. Tear up a little more fresh basil for the top, add a good drizzle of olive oil and serve immediately.
Wild mushroom and taleggio
Fry sliced portobello mushrooms with some sliced garlic and rosemary leaves, cooking down for a few minutes until golden. Add a squeeze of lemon and some chopped parsley. Spoon the mixture over the top of the flatbread, followed by some chopped taleggio cheese, sliced chilli and an extra pinch of rosemary. Bake in the hot oven for 5–8 minutes. Serve immediately scattered with a little rocket and extra parsley on the top and a sprinkle of olive oil, sea salt and pepper.
More top toppings
- Spinach, mozzarella, spring onions, Parmesan, ham hock, poached egg, chopped chilli.
- Roasted red peppers and cherry tomatoes, harissa, chorizo, smoked Cheddar, basil, chopped chilli.
- Goat’s curd, courgette, peas, mint, basil, pea shoots.
- Red onion, roasted red pepper, aubergine, black olives, garlic, rosemary, torn buffalo mozzarella.
- Spinach, nutmeg, roasted garlic, mozzarella, feta, oregano.
- Chanterelles, butter, thyme, mozzarella, chilli flakes, rocket, lemon, Parmesan.
- Spicy sausage, smoked mozzarella, roast garlic, tomato, oregano, basil.
- Courgette, ricotta, basil, chopped chilli, cherry tomatoes, garlic.
- Parma ham, Gorgonzola, figs, basil.
- Spiced minced lamb with yoghurt, coriander and pine nuts.