Ranch is a creamy dressing that is popular in the States, and works brilliantly in this hearty steak salad.
1 sweet potato, scrubbed clean and roughly diced
1 red onion, cut into thin wedges through the root
4 tsp olive oil
2 x 150g bavette steaks
2 sweetcorn on the cob
pinch of sweet smoked paprika
2 large handfuls (about 50g) rocket leaves
150g cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tbsp greek yogurt
2 tbsp mayonnaise
1 1⁄2 tsp white wine vinegar
1⁄2 small garlic clove, finely grated
2 tbsp finely chopped chives
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Toss the sweet potato, red onion and 2 tsp oil on a roasting tray and season. Roast for 20 minutes, stirring halfway, until golden then set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, take the steaks out of their packaging, season and leave at room temperature until ready to cook.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the sweetcorn, simmer for 4 minutes then drain.
- Heat a large frying or griddle pan over a high heat. When hot, rub 1 tsp oil over the corn, season and cook, turning regularly, for 4-5 minutes until golden in places. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Rub the remaining oil over the steaks and sprinkle with the paprika. Sear for about 2 minutes on each side (see tip), then rest for 3-4 minutes.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients together and season.
- Arrange the rocket, tomatoes, sweet potato and red onion on plates. Cut down the sweetcorn cobs to release the kernels and scatter over the salads. Slice the steaks and arrange on top, then spoon over the dressing.
TIP Steak cooking times can vary. For every 1cm thickness aim to cook for 1 minute per side (eg for a 2cm-thick steak, fry for 2 minutes on each side).