This spaghetti with carbonara and peas recipe contains just a handful of ingredients and is less than 500 calories per serving – the perfect quick, simple and healthy midweek dish.
493 CALS PER SERVE
100g frozen peas
75g diced pancetta
3 large eggs
60g pecorino romano cheese, grated
salt and pepper
2 tbsp roughly chopped parsley, to serve
1. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, add salt and cook the pasta for 9 minutes or until al dente. Add the peas 2 minutes before the end of the cooking time. Drain, reserving some of the pasta water.
2. Meanwhile, warm a large, deep frying pan over a medium heat and cook the pancetta for 2-3 minutes.
3. Whisk the eggs and cheese together with a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside.
4. Add the pasta and peas to the pan of pancetta and give it a good stir. Remove from the heat and slowly stir the egg and cheese mixture into the pan using tongs or a pasta fork, coating each strand, being careful not to let it curdle. Add a little pasta water to thin it out and make a shiny sauce.
5. Serve, sprinkled with the chopped parsley.
BUY THE BOOK WITH 20% OFF
Skinny Pasta by Julia Azzarello is published by Kyle Books, price £14.99. Chapters cover pantry basics, advice on cooking pasta, matching shapes with sauces and kitchen kit. Plus there are 80 flavour-packed recipes (all under 500 cals) for veggie, meat and fish mains; lunches, salads, soups and pasta staples. To order a copy for £11.99 until 24 March visit mailshop.co.uk/books or call 0844 571 0640; p&p is free on orders over £15.