These epitomise summer and, while they require a little time to prepare, make a fabulous finale for any smörgåsbord. If you’re unable to source wild strawberries, use local, commercially grown varieties or even raspberries.
200g wild strawberries (or regular strawberries, roughly chopped), plus extra to serve, if desired
200ml double cream
50g caster sugar
1 large egg white
1. Line four ramekins with a double layer of clingfilm, leaving plenty of overhang (lightly greasing the moulds with oil will help to release them).
2. Blitz 150g of the strawberries in a food processor until you have a thick coulis. Rub through a fine-mesh sieve into a small bowl to remove any seeds.
3. Whip the cream quite stiffly then set aside.
4. Place the sugar in a small saucepan with 1 tablespoon water. Bring to a simmer over a medium heat and bubble away until the sugar has dissolved. Resist the temptation to stir. Increase the heat for a few minutes until syrupy.
5. Put the egg white in a large bowl and whisk until foamy and stiff peaks appear. Very slowly pour in the warm sugar syrup, whisking constantly until the mixture is glossy.
6 Stir a spoonful of the egg white mixture into the cream then mix to lighten. Carefully fold in the remaining whisked egg whites to combine completely. Use about half of this mixture to fill the ramekins and scatter with the remaining strawberries, pushing them slightly into the cream. Freeze for one hour until relatively firm.
7. Swirl the strawberry coulis into the remaining cream mixture and refrigerate until needed. Use to top up the ramekins then return to the freezer for at least 4 hours.
8. To serve, remove the parfaits from the freezer about 10 minutes before you want to serve them. Turn them on to a plate and carefully remove the clingfilm.
9. Serve immediately with extra strawberries, if desired.
Buy the book with 40 per cent off
All these tasty recipes are from Smörgåsbord: Deliciously Simple Modern Scandinavian Recipes by Peter’s Yard with Signe Johansen, published by Kyle Books, price £18.99 (octopusbooks.co.uk). You can order a copy for £11.39 until 12 July at whsmith.co.uk. Enter the code YOUSMORG at the checkout. Book number: 9780857837776. For terms and conditions, go to www.whsmith.co.uk/terms.