Wonderful as a vegetarian centrepiece for a springtime smörgåsbord (Scandinavian buffet) or as an accompaniment to fish and meat dishes, this spring vegetable tart tastes as delicious as it looks.
320g pack ready-rolled puff pastry
3 eggs and 1 yolk
100g asparagus tips, cut into 2cm batons
6 baby courgettes, halved lengthways
3 baby aubergines, quartered lengthways
3 baby leeks, sliced into rounds about 2cm thick
2 tbsp olive oil
100g crème fraîche
150g soft goat’s cheese, crumbled
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
small bunch of dill, finely chopped
2 tarragon sprigs, leaves stripped and finely chopped
2 large handfuls of watercress, to serve
FOR THE DRESSING
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/ 180C fan/gas 6. Unroll the pastry on to a large baking tray lined with baking parchment then lightly score a 1cm border all the way around. Beat the egg yolk and brush it over the border to glaze.
2. Toss the prepared vegetables with the oil and spread out on a second tray. Place both trays in the oven, with the vegetables on the top shelf, for 20 minutes until the pastry has puffed up and the veg is just tender. Press down the centre of the pastry with the back of a spoon.
3. In a bowl, mix the 3 eggs with the crème fraîche, goat’s cheese, mustard, herbs and some salt and pepper. Spread over the tart base, avoiding the border. Arrange the veg on top then return to the oven for about 20 minutes until the filling has set.
4. Make a dressing by whisking together the oil, mustard, vinegar and a little salt and pepper.
5. Remove the spring vegetable tart from the oven and cool a little before scattering over the watercress and drizzling with the dressing.
Buy the book with 40 per cent off
All these tasty recipes are from Smörgåsbord: Deliciously Simple Modern Scandinavian Recipes by Peter’s Yard with Signe Johansen, published by Kyle Books, price £18.99 (octopusbooks.co.uk). You can order a copy for £11.39 until 12 July at whsmith.co.uk. Enter the code YOUSMORG at the checkout. Book number: 9780857837776. For terms and conditions, go to www.whsmith.co.uk/terms.