Lax pudding is essentially a creamy potato gratin given a luxurious twist thanks to smoked salmon. Here, it is taken to another level with the addition of nutty, brown butter. The dill and fresh lemon help balance out the rich flavours. This makes a terrific brunch or lunch dish at a smörgåsbord.
1kg small waxy potatoes (such as charlotte), peeled
50g butter, plus extra for greasing
½ tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
150ml whole milk
150ml double cream
300g smoked salmon slices, roughly chopped
large bunch of dill, finely chopped, plus extra to serve
½ unwaxed lemon, zest and juice
1. Put the potatoes in a large pan of water, bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until just tender. Drain well then leave until cool enough to handle. Slice them into rounds 5mm thick.
2. Preheat the oven to 220C/ 200C fan/gas 7 and generously butter a large baking dish (about 25cm x 20cm). Heat the oil in a pan to fry the onion until soft, about 10 minutes, then set aside.
3. Whisk together the milk, cream and eggs and season with salt and pepper.
4. Layer one third of the potato slices and half the onion over the bottom of the baking dish, then arrange half the salmon and dill over the potatoes. Repeat with another third of the potato slices, then the remaining onion, salmon and dill and finish with a final layer of potato. Pour the egg and cream mixture over the potatoes and grind over a little more pepper. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until golden brown.
5. Gently heat the butter in a small pan until foamy and brown. Immediately remove from the heat then add the lemon juice and zest along with a tablespoon of water. Stir a little more dill through the sauce and serve with the lax pudding.
Buy the book with 40 per cent off
All these tasty recipes are from Smörgåsbord: Deliciously Simple Modern Scandinavian Recipes by Peter’s Yard with Signe Johansen, published by Kyle Books, price £18.99 (octopusbooks.co.uk). You can order a copy for £11.39 until 12 July at whsmith.co.uk. Enter the code YOUSMORG at the checkout. Book number: 9780857837776. For terms and conditions, go to www.whsmith.co.uk/terms.