Turmeric really is the key ingredient in this fragrant chicken marinade, which is paired with the vibrant citrus zing of lime and the sweet, rounded finish of honey. These kebabs can be cooked either on the hob, in the oven or on a barbecue (see tip, below), and are so versatile they can be served with wraps, rice, fries or just on their own.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 650g total weight)
sweet chilli sauce, to serve
FOR THE MARINADE
5cm piece of fresh turmeric, scrubbed and finely grated
1 tbsp garlic granules
finely grated zest and juice of 1 unwaxed lime
2 tbsp natural yogurt
1 generous tbsp clear honey
1 tbsp olive oil
Maldon sea salt flakes and freshly
ground black pepper
1. Put all the ingredients for the marinade into a plastic food container and mix together.
2. Cut each chicken breast lengthways into 3 equal long strips. Add to the marinade in the food container and seal with the lid.
3. Shake well to coat the chicken in the marinade then leave in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour, or overnight if liked.
4. Thread each strip of marinated chicken on to a small wooden or metal skewer. Cook in a griddle pan over a high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until nicely browned and cooked through.
5. Alternatively, preheat your oven to its highest setting (with fan if it has one). Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Lay the kebabs on the prepared tray then bake for 10-12 minutes or until cooked through. Serve immediately with sweet chilli sauce.
TIP You can also cook these over a barbecue. If using woodenskewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes before using. Cook over a medium-low heat for 5-6 minutes on each side until nicely browned and cooked through.
Now buy the book with £7 off
Simply: Easy Everyday Dishes by Sabrina Ghayour will be published by Mitchell Beazley on 20 August, price £26. To order a copy for £18.99 until 30 August go to whsmith.co.uk and enter the code YOUSIMPLY at the checkout. Book number: 9781784725167. For terms and conditions, see whsmith.co.uk/terms