Squash, red onion and coriander is one of my favourite flavour combinations.
PREP 10 MINUTES
COOK 50-55 MINUTES
500g squash or pumpkin, peeled and cut into 2.5cm wedges (or diced)
1 large red onion, cut into thin wedges
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp plain yogurt
25g coriander, leaves roughly chopped and stalks finely chopped separately
1 garlic clove, crushed
1⁄2 red chilli, thinly sliced into rounds
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Put the squash and red onion in a roasting tin into which they fit comfortably in a single layer. Drizzle with 2 tbsp of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 30-35 minutes until tender and browning at the edges. Transfer to a large bowl and taste to check the seasoning.
- In a large measuring jug, beat together the eggs, yogurt and chopped coriander leaves. Season and set aside.
- Heat half a tablespoon of the remaining olive oil in a heavy-based, ovenproof, nonstick 20cm-22cm frying pan over a medium heat. Add the chopped coriander stalks, garlic and chilli and fry for 30 seconds or until their aroma is released. Add this mixture to the bowl with the cooked vegetables, then pour in the egg mixture and quickly stir to combine.
- Preheat the grill until very hot. Return the frying pan to a medium heat and add the remaining half tablespoon of olive oil. When the oil is hot, pour in the frittata mixture and quickly arrange the vegetables so that they’re evenly dispersed. Turn the heat to low, cover and cook for 10-12 minutes or until all but the top of the frittata is set. Finish the cooking under the preheated grill, about 10cm from the heat source. Cook until lightly coloured. Give the pan a shake to loosen the frittata, then transfer to a plate to cool.
- This will keep in the fridge for two days. To pack, wrap the whole frittata in baking paper, or first cut it into wedges and wrap individually, if you find that easier.
Buy the book
Our recipes are from Foolproof Picnic by Marina Filippelli, which will be published on 9 June by Quadrille, price £12.99. To pre-order a copy for £11.04 until 6 June, go to mailshop.co.uk/books or call 020 3176 2937. Free p&p on orders over £20.