Plenty of time to perfect before Easter! Straight from the hot ovens at renowned Gail’s bakery, YOU has been given the recipe for cute Easter Bunny Biscuits. Treat the family to something other than hot cross buns this year!
Makes 15 biscuits @30g each
For the biscuits:
240g plain flour
150g cold, unsalted butter, diced
30g light brown sugar
30g caster sugar
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
FOR THE ICING:
110 g icing sugar
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
) In a large bowl, using a pastry knife (or your finger tips), break the butter into the flour. Keep rubbing with your fingers until the mixture is crumbly and resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add the sugars and salt and bring the mixture to a dough.
2) Transfer the dough onto a sheet of baking paper and knead it for a minute or so. Cover the dough with another piece of baking paper and press the dough evenly between the two sheets. Use a rolling pin, roll the dough (still encased between the two sheets) to 5mm thick.
3) Transfer the whole thing onto a baking tray and chill in the fridge for at least two hours.
4) When you’re ready to bake, pre-heat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
5) Remove the shortbread from the fridge and peel off the top baking paper. The dough will be hard, so leave it for 5-10 minutes to relax. Dip your favourite cookie cutter in flour and cut out your shapes.
6) Transfer the ready-to-bake biscuits onto a baking tray lined with a sheet of baking paper.
7) Bake the biscuits for 20-25 minutes. They should stay pale golden brown.
8) Remove from the oven, leave to cool down for 5 minutes and gently transfer onto a cooling rack to cool down completely.
9) To make the icing, sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Add the lemon juice and using a wooden spoon, gradually stir until the mixture is the consistency of thick cream – you may need to add a little more lemon juice if too stiff.
10) When the biscuits are completely cool, ice them with the lemon icing.
To find out more about Gail’s bakery, and even book Easter gingerbread baking classes for your children visit www.gailsbread.co.uk.