Ubiquitous in Sweden, pancakes come in many different forms, thicknesses and sizes. In essence, you just need some flour, eggs, milk, a good pinch of salt and a generous amount of butter to fry them in. These are between American pancakes and French crêpes in size, but with a slight saltiness and crispy edges to make them extra moreish. You can also serve them sweet.
130ml-150ml whole milk
1 medium egg
150g plain flour
1 tsp caster sugar
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
a generous pinch of sea salt
soft butter, for frying
FOR THE TOPPINGS
12 rashers of smoked streaky bacon
150ml double cream
4 tbsp finely chopped fresh herbs (such as chives and flat-leaf parsley), plus a few sprigs to garnish
sea salt and black pepper
½ a red onion, peeled and very finely chopped
a few dollops of carrot ketchup (see the book for homemade) or your ketchup of choice
1. In a medium bowl, whisk the buttermilk with 130ml of the milk and the egg until smooth. Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then fold into the wet ingredients until incorporated. Add the extra milk if required to reach a yoghurt consistency. Set aside in the fridge for 15 minutes.
2. Preheat the grill to high. Spread the bacon rashers on a foil-lined baking tray and grill for 4-5 minutes, or until crispy, turning them over halfway through.
3. Whip the cream to soft peaks, stir through the herbs and season well with salt and pepper. Set aside in the fridge while you cook the pancakes.
4. Preheat the oven to 140C/fan 120C/gas 3. Put a crêpe pan or nonstick frying pan on a medium heat with 1 teaspoon of butter. Add a ladleful of the batter and spread into a neat-ish circle of about 15cm, using the back of the ladle. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, then place the pancake on a baking tray and keep warm in the oven while you make the others. You may need to add more butter to the pan.
5. To serve, place a pancake on each plate and top with a dollop of the herby cream and 2 slices of bacon. Scatter with the red onion and the remaining herbs, and serve with your choice of ketchup.
SAVE 25% ON RACHEL’S NEW BOOK
The Little Swedish Kitchen by Rachel Khoo will be published by Michael Joseph on 26 July, price £20. To pre-order a copy for £15 until 29 July visit mailshop.co.uk/books or call 0844 571 0640; p&p is free on orders over £15.