If you love your burger with a kick but without the calories, then these will be right up your street. They really are a doddle to make. You can serve them with the usual accompaniments and with or without a bun: they work really well with some slices of pepper and rocket on a healthy lower-calorie roll (or even in a wrap or pitta). They can also be cooked on the barbecue if you’re firing up.
PREP TIME 10 MINS
COOKING TIME 10 MINS
CALORIES PER BURGER 168
FREEZABLE AND GLUTEN FREE
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tsp chilli powder (mild or hot, depending on your taste)
1 tsp chipotle chilli flakes
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 whole fresh chilli, deseeded and very finely chopped
500g 5%-fat minced beef
low-calorie cooking spray
1. Add the chopped onion to a large bowl. Add all of the spices, salt and pepper, herbs and fresh chilli to the bowl and mix with the onion.
2. Add the minced beef and mix well. Make sure you squeeze the mince up with your hands as this will improve the texture of your burger. Continue to do this for a few minutes.
3. Heat a large nonstick frying pan on a medium heat. Split the burger mix into 4 equal pieces and shape as desired. The depth of your burger will alter the cooking time – we like to make ours the same diameter as a healthy roll.
4. Spray the frying pan with low-calorie cooking spray and place the burgers in to cook. Don’t turn the heat too high or the outside will burn before the burgers are done.
5. Turn the burgers after around 4-5 minutes and cook for a further 4-5 minutes on the second side. Don’t try to turn the burgers too soon or they may fall apart. The burgers should be well browned and cooked through without drying out. Serve with your choice of accompaniment.
NOW BUY THE BOOK WITH 20% OFF
The Pinch of Nom Food Planner by Kate Allinson, Kay Featherstone and Laura Davis will be published on 13 June (Bluebird, £9.99). To order a copy for £7.99 from 16 June until 30 June, visit mailshop.co.uk/books or call 0844 571 0640; p&p is free on orders over £15.