A great twist on an old favourite. It’s super-quick and easy to make but feels really luxurious and would make a perfect dinner party meal to impress your guests. Don’t panic about the eggs being ‘raw’ in this recipe – the heat of the cooked pasta and residual heat of the pan cooks them through and gives a silky smooth and creamy sauce. By removing the pan from the heat, you’ll make sure the eggs don’t scramble!
PREP TIME 5 MINS
COOKING TIME 10 MINS
CALS PER SERVING 314
240g dried spaghetti
100g frozen peas
250ml pasta water (keep back before draining the pasta)
3 medium eggs
10g parmesan, finely grated
1 tbsp chopped fresh chives or dried chives
1 tsp garlic granules
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
low-calorie cooking spray
180g hot-smoked salmon fillets
1. Cook the spaghetti according to the instructions on the packet. In the last 4 minutes of cooking time, add the frozen peas to the spaghetti to cook through.
2. Beat the eggs in a bowl with the parmesan, chives, garlic granules, salt and pepper.
3. Drain the spaghetti and peas but keep 250ml of the pasta water back to use later. Keep the pasta and peas in the colander.
4. Using the pan in which you cooked the spaghetti and peas, pop back on the heat and spray with low-calorie cooking spray. Flake the hot-smoked salmon fillets into the pan and heat through for a few minutes.
5. Return the spaghetti and peas to the saucepan with the salmon. Turn off the hob and remove the pan from the heat. Add the beaten egg mix, along with the pasta water and stir thoroughly, ensuring all the spaghetti is coated in the egg – this should take a couple of minutes.
6. Serve immediately and top with an extra sprinkle of parmesan if required.
TIP Instead of hot-smoked salmon fillets you could use traditional smoked salmon (just cut into thick strips and add them at the end; the heat of the pasta will cook them through). Smoked mackerel would also be delish! You could even add a little kick to this carbonara by adding a pinch of chilli powder.
NOW BUY THE BOOK WITH 20% OFF
The Pinch of Nom Food Planner by Kate Allinson, Kay Featherstone and Laura Davis will be published on 13 June (Bluebird, £9.99). To order a copy for £7.99 from 16 June until 30 June, visit mailshop.co.uk/books or call 0844 571 0640; p&p is free on orders over £15.