It’s hard to believe you can indulge in pavlova while following a slimming diet. However, a few substitutes turn this classic dessert into an indulgence that’s lighter on calories than you might think. This is an occasional treat rather than an everyday pudding – once you try it you’ll be counting down the days until your next dinner party!
PREP TIME 15-20 MINS
COOKING TIME 1 HR PLUS COOLING
CALS PER SERVING 65
5 large egg whites, at room temperature
1 tsp cream of tartar
70g caster sugar
250g fat-free natural yogurt
1 tbsp granulated sweetener
1 tsp vanilla extract
frozen (defrosted) or fresh berries of choice
1. Preheat the oven to 120C/100C fan/gas 1 and line a large baking sheet with baking parchment.
2. Place the egg whites in a very clean, dry mixing bowl, ensuring no egg yolk gets in the bowl. Whisk with an electric hand whisk until the egg whites form soft peaks, then add the cream of tartar andwhisk to combine. Add the caster sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until fully combined. Continue whisking until the egg whites are stiff and glossy. When you feel the mixture, there should not be any grittiness from the sugar as it should all be dissolved. If it hasn’t, whisk it for a little longer.
3. Carefully spoon the mixture on to the lined baking sheet and form it into a rough circle around 27cm (10in) in diameter. Create a slightly raised edge (2cm-3cm/.in-1.in wide) to leave an area for your filling to sit in. Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour.
4. When the meringue is baked, turn off the oven, leaving the meringue on the baking sheet in the oven until completely cool. The meringue will keep for a few days in an airtight container at this point, if you want to make it in advance.
5. To make the topping, mix the yogurt, sweetener and vanilla extract in a bowl. Leave in the fridge until ready to assemble.
6. Prepare your fresh berries. Blueberries, strawberries and raspberries work well.
7. When the meringue is completely cool, top it with the yogurt mixture then add the berries. Serve immediately.
NOW BUY THE BOOK WITH 20% OFF
The Pinch of Nom Food Planner by Kate Allinson, Kay Featherstone and Laura Davis will be published on 13 June (Bluebird, £9.99). To order a copy for £7.99 from 16 June until 30 June, visit mailshop.co.uk/books or call 0844 571 0640; p&p is free on orders over £15.