This is great for entertaining – add some jasmine or basmati rice to serve, if you like.
TAKES less than 45 minutes
1 litre sunflower oil, for deep-frying
150g fresh or straight-to-wok medium egg noodles
350g round shallots, peeled and trimmed
125g crunchy peanut butter
2 tbsp tomato purée
2 balls stem ginger, grated, plus 1 tbsp of the syrup
2 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp lime juice
150ml coconut cream
800g hunk sweet pumpkin (eg, delica or crown prince) or butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into big chunks
100g spinach leaves
Salt and pepper
1⁄4 tsp red pepper powder or chilli flakes, to serve
FOR THE CORIANDER RELISH
small bunch of coriander
3 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp sunflower oil
- Fill a high-sided wok or saucepan with oil to a depth of 8cm-10cm. When a cube of bread dropped in the oil immediately starts bubbling fiercely, you’re ready to fry. Line a tray with kitchen paper, then use metal tongs to carefully add a small bunch of noodles at a time to the hot oil, frying for 10-20 seconds until pale golden and crispy. Drain on the kitchen paper.
- Bring 1 litre water to the boil in a large saucepan, add the shallots and, once boiling again, cook for 4 minutes. Remove the shallots from the water with a slotted spoon.
- Whisk the peanut butter, tomato purée, grated ginger and 1 tbsp syrup, soy sauce, lime juice and the coconut cream into the saucepan of water. Bring the broth back to a simmer, then return the shallots with the pumpkin and simmer for 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Stir through the spinach and season.
- To make the relish, whiz the coriander, stalks and all, with the lime juice, water and oil to a loose pesto-like texture in a food processor.
- Serve the curry in deep bowls, scattered with crispy noodles and topped with a spoonful of the coriander relish and a sprinkle of red pepper powder or chilli flakes.
Now buy the book!
Our recipes are from Pimp Your Noodles by Sarah Cook, which is published by Seven Dials, price £9.99. To order a copy for £8.49 until 7 March, go to mailshop.co.uk/books or call 020 3308 9193. Free p&p on orders over £15.