To up the protein you could add tofu or black beans in with the vegetables.
TAKES less than 25 minutes
150g thin-stemmed broccoli
175g dried wide udon noodles
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 tsp sunflower oil
4 spring onions, cut into thirds
150g sugar snap peas or mangetout
2 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp mirin
Toasted sesame seeds and sliced red chilli, to serve
FOR THE DRESSING
4 tsp brown miso paste
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp mirin
1 garlic clove, crushed
- Blanch the broccoli for 1 minute in a saucepan of boiling water – time from when the water begins to boil again. Drain and leave in the sieve until you start to stir-fry.
- Mix together the dressing ingredients.
- Refill the saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Add the noodles, cooking for about 4 minutes until tender.
- Heat a wok with the sesame and sunflower oil. Add the broccoli, spring onions and sugar snaps or mangetout and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until the veg starts to brown.
- Drain the noodles and toss with the vinegar and mirin. Divide between two plates and top with the stir-fried veg. Drizzle half the dressing over each and scatter with the sesame seeds and red chilli.
TIP Just like with Italian pasta, you don’t want to overcook noodles. Where you look for an al dente finish with spaghetti, most noodles should also still have a little bite.
Now buy the book!
Our recipes are from Pimp Your Noodles by Sarah Cook, which is published by Seven Dials, price £9.99. To order a copy for £8.49 until 7 March, go to mailshop.co.uk/books or call 020 3308 9193. Free p&p on orders over £15.