These banana spring rolls are simple but packed with flavour. I sometimes freeze these first and bake from frozen; just add an extra 15-20 minutes to the cooking time.
PREPARATION TIME 20 MINUTES
COOKING TIME 12-15 MINUTES
4 sheets filo pastry
2-3 sprays of rapeseed oil
4 small ripe bananas, peeled
1 level tsp ground allspice
small bunch of Thai basil, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/ 180C fan/gas 6.
2. Lay out the four sheets of filo pastry, then spray lightly with the oil.
3. Place a banana on one end of each pastry sheet, then sprinkle with a little allspice and chopped basil. Roll the pastry over to cover the banana, then tuck in the sides. Finish by rolling up nice and tightly.
4. Place on a nonstick baking sheet and spray again lightly. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
5. Leave the banana spring rolls to cool for 10 minutes before eating.
Buy Phil’s book with a 50 per cent discount
Diabetes Meal Planner by Phil Vickery will be published by Kyle Books on 8 June, price £22. To order a copy for £11 until 14 June, go to whsmith.co.uk and enter the code YOUVICKERY at the checkout. Book number: 9780857837783. For terms and conditions see www.whsmith.co.uk/terms