The cute reindeer decoration on this orange cake with snowy marshmallow frosting isn’t obligatory, but it does add a real sense of occasion.
MAKES 1 X 20CM CAKE
225g unsalted butter diced, plus extra for the tin
225g golden caster sugar
225g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
finely grated zest of 1 orange
4 medium eggs
100ml fresh smooth orange juice
2 medium organic egg whites
150g white caster sugar
2 tbsp fresh smooth orange juice
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
pinch of sea salt
11 white marshmallows
selection of mini marshmallows, red chocolate beans, mini pretzels and red and black sprinkles
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Butter a 20cm cake tin about 9cm deep. Place all the cake ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and whiz together until combined. Transfer the mixture to the cake tin and smooth the top.
2. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a skewer inserted at the centre comes out clean. Run a knife around the collar of the cake and leave to cool before removing from the tin.
3. For the frosting, whisk together the egg whites, sugar, orange juice, cream of tartar and salt in a large bowl using an electric whisk. Set the bowl over a pan containing a little simmering water and whisk at high speed for 5 minutes until you have a thick mousse-like glaze that stands in peaks. Add the marshmallows and stir for several minutes until they begin to soften and melt, then whisk until the mixture is smooth and completely melted. Remove from the heat.
4. Spread the frosting thickly over the top and sides of the cake (you may not need quite all of it).
4. Decorate the top as desired and set aside for a couple of hours for the frosting to set.
Recipe by Annie Bell. Food styling by Clare Lewis. Styling by Sue Radcliffe.