We can always count on those geniuses at M&S to come up with the next fantastical foodie creation we all go nuts for. In May 2021, M&S heard our plea for easy-to-eat food on the go and came up with the innovative ‘cake in a jar’ concept which has taken the nation by storm.
M&S’ cake in a jar packs a single portion of cake into a handy container, so you can bring the sweet stuff with you wherever you go. If you’ve ever had the pleasure (read: pain) of attempting to cut a birthday cake with a plastic knife on an unstable surface, you’ll understand just how important this news is.
Whether you’re having lunch on the go or looking for a special treat without having to buy a whole cake, M&S’s cake jars are the perfect solution.
With Easter on the horizon, news has broken that M&S will be releasing an egg-citing (sorry) new cake jar featuring mini chocolate eggs. We don’t know exactly what’s in the new product yet, but it looks like there’s a chocolate sponge, mini chocolate eggs, sprinkles and a buttercream.
At the beginning of the year, M&S released a vegan cake jar from its Plant Kitchen range for the first time. The vegan-friendly cake jar comes in a chocolate flavour, made with chocolate sponge cake layered with chocolate buttercream, Belgian chocolate sauce, biscuit balls and decorated with even more dark chocolate.
Priced at £4 each and packaged in reusable (and fully recyclable) jars, the regular cake jars have been available in six delicious flavours:
- Chocolate & Orange Cake In A Jar – Layers of chocolate sponge cake, orange flavoured chocolate ganache, orange curd, milk chocolate buttons and chocolate chips.
- Lemon Meringue Cake In A Jar – Layers of soft sponge, lemon curd and buttercream topped with sweet meringue pieces.
- Percy Pig Cake In A Jar – Layers of madeira sponge, raspberry jam, raspberry jelly pieces, fruity buttercream, freeze dried raspberries and a Percy Pig sweet on top.
- Colin the Caterpillar Cake In A Jar – Layers of all the Colin goodness: rich chocolate sponge, Belgian chocolate sauce, chocolate ganache, milk and white chocolate chips and finished with a Colin the Caterpillar white chocolate face.
- Raspberry Ripple Cake In A Jar – Layers of madeira sponge, sweet raspberry jam, creamy vanilla buttercream and freeze-dried raspberry pieces.
- Trillionaire’s Cake In A Jar – Layers of madeira sponge with salted caramel sauce, chocolate ganache, milk chocolate shortcake balls and fudge pieces.
The cake jars have been such a success, that finding one in an M&S store quickly became something of a mission. Last June, the quantity stocked in each store was doubled to make sure no one missed out on the cake-y goodness.
Natalie Tate, Lead Product Developer for M&S Cakes, said: ‘These cake jars are absolutely delicious and are perfect for picnics, lunches on the go – or pretty much whenever you need a sweet fix. Gone are the days of picking a cake to suit all tastes – you can now mix and match to suit everyone.’