We can always count on those geniuses at M&S to come up with the next fantastical foodie creation we all go nuts for and the supermarket’s latest release is no exception to the rule. As we started heading out for picnics and eating outdoors in summer, we needed savvy ways to be able to enjoy our favourite foods on the go. In May, M&S heard that plea and came up with the innovative ‘cake in a jar’ concept.
M&S’ cake in a jar packs a single portion of cake into a handy container, so you can bring the sweet stuff with you wherever you go. If you’ve ever had the pleasure (read: pain) of attempting to cut a birthday cake with a plastic knife on grass at a picnic, you’ll understand just how important this news is.
Whether you’re heading to a picnic, having lunch on the go or looking for a special birthday treat for one without having to buy a whole cake, M&S’s cake jars are the perfect solution. Priced at £4 each and packaged in reusable (and fully recyclable) jars, they’re available in six delicious flavours:
- Chocolate & Orange Cake In A Jar – Layers of chocolate sponge cake, orange flavoured chocolate ganache, orange curd, milk chocolate buttons and chocolate chips.
- Lemon Meringue Cake In A Jar – Layers of soft sponge, lemon curd and buttercream topped with sweet meringue pieces.
- Percy Pig Cake In A Jar – Layers of madeira sponge, raspberry jam, raspberry jelly pieces, fruity buttercream, freeze dried raspberries and a Percy Pig sweet on top.
- Colin the Caterpillar Cake In A Jar – Layers of all the Colin goodness: rich chocolate sponge, Belgian chocolate sauce, chocolate ganache, milk and white chocolate chips and finished with a Colin the Caterpillar white chocolate face.
- Raspberry Ripple Cake In A Jar – Layers of madeira sponge, sweet raspberry jam, creamy vanilla buttercream and freeze-dried raspberry pieces.
- Trillionaire’s Cake In A Jar – Layers of madeira sponge with salted caramel sauce, chocolate ganache, milk chocolate shortcake balls and fudge pieces.
The latest addition to the cake jar family is the Chocolate & Orange flavour, which was reviewed by Instagram foodie account @kevssnackreviews. They gave the cake jar an overall score of 8 out of 10, commenting that the orange chocolate ganache ‘gives a good rich Chocolatey orange flavour.’
They also wrote: ‘There’s also orange curd which brings a slight sweet tang to it too. And some chocolate decorations on top to add a little crunch. It’s all very nice and reminded me a little of Jaffa Cakes due to the orange curd. If you’re craving a chocolatey orange hit, you’ll probably love this!’
The cake jars have been such a success, that finding one in an M&S store quickly became something of a mission. In June, they were brought back in stock, but the quantity stocked in each store was doubled to make sure no one missed out on the cake-y goodness.
Rightly predicted to be a success from the get-go, the news was first broken on Instagram back in April. The post gained 5,000 likes and over 700 comments in the first half an hour.
Natalie Tate, Lead Product Developer for M&S Cakes, said: ‘These cake jars are absolutely delicious and are perfect for picnics, lunches on the go – or pretty much whenever you need a sweet fix. Gone are the days of picking a cake to suit all tastes – you can now mix and match to suit everyone.’