Being at home more often than usual in the past year has seen a lot of us decluttering and redecorating our living spaces. It was much easier to spot those subtle wears, tears and overdue paint touch-ups. Luckily, Instagram was full of interior inspo during lockdown.
Research conducted by DIYS.com analysed Instagram hashtags to predict the colours already leading the way in interior design for 2021.
Long-time favourite Hague Blue by Farrow and Ball, which is a deep shade of blue with green undertones, took the top spot with 46,589 hashtags on Instagram. It’s no surprise to see the renowned paint and wallpaper brand owned the majority of the most popular paint colours, including Cornforth White and Elephant’s Breath.
The top 10 colours include a variety of other blue, grey and green tones, as well as the more typical neutrals and shades of white.
According to psychologist Lee Chambers, Hague Blue ‘promotes both calm, confidence and a feeling of being grounded, which in the middle of a pandemic makes it increasingly popular’.
If you’re looking to update your home with a lick of paint and want to opt for something soothing and relaxing, then blue is the way to go. According to Country Living, the colour is thought to help reduce blood pressure, while green can help reduce anxiety. Inspired? Keep scrolling…
The 10 most popular paint colours on Instagram for 2021:
1. Hague Blue, Farrow & Ball (70,461 hashtags)
2. Stiffkey Blue, Farrow & Ball (23,872)
3. Cornforth White, Farrow & Ball (20,239)
4. French Grey, Little Greene (15,309)
5. Elephant’s Breath, Farrow & Ball (12,894)
6. Skimming Stone, Farrow & Ball (11,393)
7. Hale Navy, Benjamin Moore (11,314)
8. Denim Drift, Dulux (10,322)
9. Egyptian Cotton, Dulux (9,835)
10. Sap Green, Farrow and Ball (7,843)
With a list of inspiration like this, we’re itching to redecorate!