A good sticky gingerbread loaf should be fragrant and packed with flavour – just like this recipe from Michael Chakraverty, which only requires a handful of ingredients.
250g plain flour
4 tsp ground ginger
140ml whole milk
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
100g sunflower spread
100g dark muscovado sugar
100g golden syrup
100g black treacle
FOR THE ICING
150g icing sugar, sifted
4-5 tsp lemon juice
YOU WILL NEED
900g loaf tin, greased, lined (base and sides) with baking paper
1. Heat the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 2½.
2. Sift the flour and ginger together into a large mixing bowl and set aside. Measure 1 tablespoon of the milk into a small bowl and stir in the bicarbonate of soda.
3. Pour the remaining milk, along with the spread, sugar, syrup and treacle into a medium pan and place over a medium heat for about 2 minutes, until the spread has melted.
4. Leave the spread mixture to cool for 5 minutes, then pour it into the bowl over the flour and ginger. Add the egg and the bicarbonate of soda mixture then beat with a wooden spoon to a smooth, thick batter.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a skewer inserted at the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Mix the icing sugar with enough lemon juice to make a thick pouring consistency. Once the cake is cool, drizzle over the icing to finish the sticky gingerbread loaf.
Recipe from The Great British Bake Off: The Big Book of Amazing Cakes with Recipes by Paul Hollywood, Prue Leith and The Bakers (Sphere, £20)