If you love citrus puddings, these cupcakes are for you. They have a lovely spongy texture thanks to the ground almonds. You can adjust the amount of glaze to suit you, but I like my drizzle cakes to be really moist and tangy. Great for kids and adults alike!
MAKES 12 CUPCAKES
4 tbsp coconut oil
250g ground almonds
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
juice and grated zest of 1 lemon and 1 lime (see tip)
5 tbsp maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 medium eggs
50ml any milk
FOR THE GLAZE
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp maple syrup
juice and grated zest of 1 lemon and 1 lime
1. Preheat the oven to fan 160C/180C/gas 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases. Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan, then remove from the heat and leave it to cool for a few minutes so it doesn’t scramble the eggs.
2. Meanwhile, combine the ground almonds and bicarbonate of soda in a large bowl. Add the citrus juice and zest, maple syrup, vanilla extract and melted coconut oil and mix together well. Make a hole in the centre, crack in the eggs and whisk together, then pour in the milk and stir everything together.
3. Use a tablespoon to divide the batter among the muffin cases so that each one is three-quarters full. Use the back of the spoon to smooth the tops and then bake in the oven for about 18 minutes until golden.
4. Meanwhile, using the same small saucepan, gently heat the glaze ingredients together for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and leave to stand, then taste and add more citrus juice if you think it needs it.
5. When the muffins are out of the oven, leave them in the tin and use a skewer to prick holes in each cupcake. Pour over the glaze so that the cakes can absorb it as they cool.
When grating the lemon and lime rind, make sure you use unwaxed lemons and limes. Avoid removing the pith with the zest as it has a bitter taste.
SAVE 20 PER CENT ON MELISSA’S NEW BOOK
Eat Happy: 30-Minute Feelgood Food by Melissa Hemsley is published by Ebury, price £20. As well as Melissa’s introduction and brilliant advice and tips for time-savvy, good-for-you meals, chapters cover breakfast and brunch, bowl food, meat, fish and vegetable mains, salads, sides, snacks, dips and canapés, sweets and drinks. To order a copy for £16 until 18 February, visit you-bookshop.co.uk or call 0844 571 0640; p&p is free on orders over £15.