An old favourite of mine and one the family still loves. Tender chicken that comes off the bone easily with a barbecue-style charred appearance and flavour. So easy – just put it in the oven and leave it to do its magic. If you would like smaller portions, use the same weight of thighs and drumsticks (six of each).
MARINATE: a minimum of 30 minutes
COOK TIME: 35-40 minutes
6 chicken legs (about 200g/7oz each), skin on (see tip)
FOR THE MARINADE
6 tbsp tomato ketchup
2 tbsp tomato purée
2 tbsp grainy mustard
3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp runny honey
1 garlic clove, crushed
1. Using a sharp knife, make shallow slits in the top of the chicken legs (see tips).
2. Place all the ingredients for the marinade in a large bowl and stir until combined. Add the chicken legs and toss to coat, using your hands to cover them really well in the marinade. Cover the bowl and place in the fridge to marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7 and line a roasting tin with baking paper.
4. Place the marinated chicken legs in the lined tin, skin-side up in a single layer, and spoon over the remaining marinade from the bowl. Roast in the oven for 35-40 minutes until sticky, golden and cooked through. Skim off any fat from the cooking juices and pour the juices into a jug.
5. Serve hot with the juices poured over and with a green vegetable and sautéed potatoes or mash (see the book) on the side.
Can be marinated up to 24 hours ahead. Serve cold if preferred.
MARY’S CLASSIC TIPS
Don’t forget to wash your hands after handling raw poultry.
SAVE 20 PER CENT ON MARY’S NEW BOOK
Classic, published by BBC Books on 25th January, price £26. As well as Mary’s introduction the book contains more than 100 all-new recipes, with Mary’s crucial tips for each one. Chapters include canapés and first courses, fish, poultry and game, pork, lamb and beef, vegetarian, puddings and desserts, and teatime. To order a copy for £20.80 until 4th February, visit you-bookshop.co.uk or call 0844 571 0640; p&p is free on orders over £15.