Crispy parma ham, red peppers and fresh herbs are such a lovely flavour combination. Parma ham usually comes in packets of six to seven slices – use the whole packet. Swap for thin rashers of streaky bacon, if you prefer.
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 10-15 minutes
275g (10oz) penne pasta
6-7 slices parma ham, snipped into small pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
4 spring onions, chopped (see note)
150g (5oz) roasted red peppers in oil (from a jar), drained and chopped (see note)
1 large garlic clove, crushed
200g (7oz) full-fat crème fraîche
1 x 30g packet of flat-leaf parsley, leaves roughly chopped
1 x 30g packet of basil, leaves roughly chopped
30g (1oz) parmesan, finely grated
1. Cook the pasta in boiling salted water according to the packet instructions, then drain, reserving some of the cooking water.
2. Meanwhile place a large frying pan over a high heat. Fry the parma ham for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
3. Add the oil to the pan, along with the spring onions, peppers and garlic, and fry, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
4. Add the crème fraîche and bring to the boil, then add the drained pasta with half the crispy ham, most of the herbs and some salt and pepper. Toss over the heat for a few minutes.
5. Add the cheese and a splash of the reserved cooking water if the sauce seems too thick and sprinkle over the remaining crispy ham and herbs to serve.
Try using kitchen scissors to cut the spring onions quickly.
Using chargrilled skinned peppers in oil from a jar makes this dish very quick – they are an excellent time saver. You can roast and skin your own peppers, of course, if you prefer.
The ham can be pan-fried up to 3 hours ahead.
Not suitable for freezing.
SAVE 20 PER CENT ON MARY’S NEW BOOK
Mary Berry Quick Cooking will be published by BBC Books on 21 February, price £22. As well as Mary’s introduction, the book contains more than 100 all-new recipes, plus her crucial tips for each one. Chapters include: Light Bites and Tapas; Speedy Soups; Salads and Grains; Fish; Poultry and Game; Pork, Lamb and Beef; Rice, Noodles and Pasta; Quick Veg; Puddings, and Baking. To order a copy for £17.60 until 3 March, visit mailshop.co.uk/books or call 0844 571 0640; p&p is free on orders over £15.