Bakewell is often a round tart, but it is just as easy to make as fingers.
MAKES 16 FINGERS
PREPARE AHEAD Can be made up to 2 days ahead.
FREEZE Freezes well once cooked.
FOR THE PASTRY
175g (6oz) plain flour
100g (4oz) butter
2 tbsp icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
1 egg, beaten for the filling
100g (4oz) butter, softened
100g (4oz) caster sugar
2 large eggs
100g (4oz) ground almonds
1 tbsp plain flour
1 tsp almond extract
½ jar of good raspberry jam
25g (1oz) flaked almonds
1. You will need a 33cm x 23cm (13in x 9in) Swiss roll tin. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
2. For the pastry, measure the flour, butter and icing sugar into a food processor and whiz until it looks like breadcrumbs. Add the egg and whiz until the pastry comes together. Or rub the flour, butter and sugar together in a bowl with your fingertips before adding the egg. Roll the pastry out very thinly, then use it to line the base and sides of the tin. Prick the base, then chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3. Line the pastry with nonstick baking paper and baking beans. Bake blind for about 15 minutes, then remove the paper and beans and bake for another 5 minutes until the pastry is pale golden.
4. For the frangipane filling, measure the butter and sugar into the food processor. Whiz until creamy, then add the eggs and whiz again. Lastly, add the ground almonds, flour and almond extract, then whiz.
5. Spread the jam over the base of the tart. Spoon the frangipane in blobs on top then spread it out to make an even layer. Sprinkle with flaked almonds. Put back into the oven for 18-20 minutes until lightly golden and set on top. Leave to cool, then slice into 16 fingers. Dust with icing sugar to serve.
Now buy the book with £14 off
Our recipes are from Simple Comforts by Mary Berry, which will be published on 17 September by BBC Books, price £26. to order a copy for £12 until 20 September go to whsmith.co.uk and enter the code YOUMARY at the checkout. Book number: 9781785945076. For terms and conditions, see whsmith.co.uk